When having a shoulder problem, it is essential to get a qualified physician to repair it. The options include surgical and non-surgical treatments, while there are other conservative techniques to consider. It will depend on the problem since every person’s case is unique.
Previously, the procedures were complex, and it would take a long time for a patient to recover. However, modern treatments are better thanks to technology. A surgeon does not need to cut deep into the body to repair a shoulder problem. Arthroscopy is a shoulder surgery technique that uses cameras to correct the situation through minimal incisions. Still, you can consider other procedures, but it would be best to consult a shoulder surgeon first.
Table of Contents
An Overview of the Shoulder and Related Problems
Three bones make up the shoulder; clavicle, humerus, and scapula. The parts join through a socket and ball with ligaments surrounding the parts. Cartilage helps with the free movement of the joint and reduces the chances of friction. The shoulder capsule holds the bones together while four tendons known as the rotator cuff surround it. For lubrication, the bursa assists the shoulder work as intended.
On the other hand, the bones can hook the tendons and tear when moving the arms. It can happen when someone falls. Apart from the challenge, poor lubrication of the joints can cause shoulder problems. When experiencing shoulder problems, you will find it challenging to move the parts and feel weak. In addition, it will be challenging to raise the arm above your head, experience pain at night, and the shoulder cracks when you try to move it.
When you experience such challenges, it is advisable to seek medical ad professional help. As stated earlier, the surgeon might try non-surgical procedures to solve the issue. However, when it is impossible, they will opt for a surgical procedure like arthroscopy. There are certain things you will need to prepare for the surgery. A shoulder surgeon should help you with your pre-surgery preparations.
A Guide to Recovery after Shoulder Surgery
Taking the proper steps after undergoing shoulder surgery helps with the recovery. It will ensure you recover fully and fast. Below are some tips to help;
- The incision needs to be dry. Therefore, it would be best to install a detachable showerhead to avert the risk of wetting the area. Still, it is necessary to have waterproof bandages to protect the incision.
- Since you are at risk of injuring yourself while bathing, consider having a chair in the bathroom to help you shower with minimal risk. Liquid soap will make the task easier since you will be using one hand to bathe.
- Ensure you take your medication to minimize the pain during the recovery period.
- Use the prescribed techniques to handle the pain and inflammation. Most individuals use ice to soothe the shoulder. Also, there are heating techniques to consider after the stage. However, your surgeon should direct you on the best methods to care for the shoulder.
- Wear your sling when moving around to minimize the impact on the shoulder and report to your surgeon regularly to help determine any signs of complications